Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,077Gear list
Like?
Re: Designed for women
In reply to sderdiarian, Sep 26, 2013

sderdiarian wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

PENs are, not m43 in general. I do not think of the E-M1 or the GH3 as cameras targeted at women.

I can't believe Olympus is this ignorant of Western attitudes. To have a car branded as a "chick" car is the kiss of death, VW Bug a case in point. Same for introducing a car aimed at youth (PT Cruiser and Honda Element) adopted by the "mature" crowd.

For them to openly come out and say they've abdicated image quality to FF, a man-sized camera, and have targeted their products instead to women, well, good luck with that marketing strategy in the west. Small, efficient and high IQ sells to all genders. Maybe someone should whisper that in their ear .

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

Agreed. I read this interview last week and couldn't believe that Terada's comments about Western women as well as the fact that he attributes the success of PENs to Olympus being able to successfully market them to young Japanese women.

He also commented that the word of mouth from E-M5 & E-M1 users would be an important factor in generating sales of lower level PENs.

If targeting young women and relying on word of mouth constitute the core of Oly's marketing strategy then we can only hope they succeed despite managerial incompetence.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow