Interview with Tereda and other Olympus staff

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,477Gear list
Like?
Re: Missing the Point
In reply to Landscapephoto99, 10 months ago

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Yes, but this is cherry picking results in your comparison of the E-M5 and the D800. Compare ISO 3200 E-M5 to ISO 12,800 on Imaging Resources. The E-M5 image is much better. And there are other examples like this for color depth and DR. I would give the D800 a 1 1/2 stop advantage.

That means that if the E-M1 is at least a half stop better than the E-M5, we are back to just a ~1 stop advantage for FF in everything except size of file. Hopefully, removing the AA filter will improve resolution a bit in the E-M1, but I'm getting huge prints out of my E-M5 so no complaints there.

Again, I'm not saying that FF is not better, just that the assuming everyone keeps up with technology that the differences will be less and less important. A 1 stop advantage is a huge difference when there are only 5 stops. It is not such a big difference when were are looking at 11.5 or 12 stops. On the other hand, size doesn't change. FF lenses will always be huge.

Good point about keeping up with technology. Remember how long people waited for their D700 and 5D Mk2 to be updated? Must be 6 or 7 years. The D800 and 5DMark 3 are very new at this time but probably will not get updated for another 5 years, during which there will be 2 or 3 new generations of sensor and M43 cameras. At this point in time, the D800 is looking a lot better than the E-M5, but in another 3 years' time there may be just 1 stop or maybe even less of advantage for many shooting situations. By then, some careful exposure and framing, 5-axis IBIS and lens quality might just reduce the advantage even further to make the extra cost and weight of FF cameras justified only for the most demanding applications.

People should realise that Terada is talking about the future, not the current conditions (e.g. that DSLR still sell better). Some technological changes take a long time to happen due to existing habits/investment/mentality, but when that happens, they can be massive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow