Interview with Tereda and other Olympus staff

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464
Like?
Re: Missing the Point
In reply to jim stirling, 10 months ago

Yes, but this is cherry picking results in your comparison of the E-M5 and the D800.  Compare ISO 3200 E-M5 to ISO 12,800 on Imaging Resources.  The E-M5 image is much better.  And there are other examples like this for color depth and DR.  I would give the D800 a 1 1/2 stop advantage.

That means that if the E-M1 is at least a half stop better than the E-M5, we are back to just a ~1 stop advantage for FF in everything except size of file.  Hopefully, removing the AA filter will improve resolution a bit in the E-M1, but I'm getting huge prints out of my E-M5 so no complaints there.

Again, I'm not saying that FF is not better, just that the assuming everyone keeps up with technology that the differences will be less and less important.  A 1 stop advantage is a huge difference when there are only 5 stops. It is not such a big difference when were are looking at 11.5 or 12 stops.   On the other hand, size doesn't change.  FF lenses will always be huge.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow