Lens quality control

Started Sep 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,916Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens quality control
In reply to nevada5, Sep 25, 2013

nevada5 wrote:

(Posted in Open Talk forum in error, unable to delete it)

Intended for Sony NEX Talk ----

I haven't seen a reference to this on this forum:

Where the sharpness comes from

Two links (from the DPR article linked above):

Tour of the Sigma lens factory

And - There is no perfect lens

Quote from the above blog: "Most people understand that some copy-to-copy variation is inevitable in the manufacturing process. Most are surprised, though, at how large the sample variation seems to be. Heck, I was surprised at how large the sample variation was when I started doing this kind of testing."

Comments?

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

Yes, here's my experience with a (well two actually) decentered SEL16/2.8 lenses... and Sony's total disinterest in doing anything about it:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52107652

Sorry to keep beating this paticular hobby horse but maybe the message will get back to Sony HQ to start eating their lemons rather than dropping them in their customers laps!

I don't care about the soft corners on a correctly assembled SEL 16/2.8. This is the compromise you get with a pancake lens and if my lens had been assembled properly, and I didn't like it, then I could at least sell the lens and recover some of my investement.  What I do care about is that both my copies of this lens were not correctly assembled and that as things stand the worst of the two 16/2.8 lenses I own is an expensive paperweight as I can neither use it nor sell it in good faith to somebody else!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow