Why Thom is wrong...

Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,826Gear list
Like?
Re: The wonder of the 70D
In reply to MarkJH, Sep 25, 2013

MarkJH wrote:

I guess what I'm getting at, here, is that the "dual-pixel" development is impressive, but it's also very clearly a "first gen" product. Live View with the 70D is a big leap over, say, Live View with the 5DIII; and for subjects in motion, it may have an advantage over Olympus or Panasonic (I say "may" because, again, I'm not a sports shooter; it isn't more effective with models).

However, it's still not nearly so quick or so confident as the 2012-vintage EM-5 for single-shot stills. It's not really close. And it's not just an issue of lens motor speed: there's a confidence in the way the EM-5 locks that no DSLR I've ever shot has. It's amazing, and though the 70D is great, shooting the EM-5 reminds you how far Canon still has to go.

I'm curious on what grounds you believe this "confidence" is not about lens motors.  Bear in mind that the Canon is doing all this with lenses designed solely for use with viewfinder focusing, and the equivalent test for the EM-5 (or more appropriately, the EM-1) would be to try it solely with Four Thirds Classic lenses.

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow