Why Thom is wrong...

Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Beach Bum
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055
Like?
Re: Think about it...warning, long post.
In reply to stevo23, Sep 25, 2013

stevo23 wrote:

Beach Bum wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

I downloaded Panasonic's annual report and searched for the word "camera". Here's what I found:

Make sure you look at 2013.

"Digital still camera business: concentrate on mirror-less cameras and high value-added compact cameras. We intend to concentrate resources on mirror-less cameras and high value-added compact cameras, and at the same time work to reduce the number of entry-level compact camera models and fixed costs."

That's only one statement they made, but the word camera appears 36 times. Look at page 7 especially. But you also have to do some reading and try to understand what they're holding back etc. What exactly are you trying to say here?

The end. I actually typed it out rather than trying to copy it because it was that small. That's everything with the word "camera" in the whole document. I've been stupidly wrong before and embarrassed myself by prematurely dismissing someone's idea, so correct me if there's anything else that they've said about cameras.

I'd be surprised if you can actually copy and paste. Usually these things are locked down.

Also, let's not forget that Panasonic has a well-established sensor industry which has recently culminated in the GX7. It's entirely possible that they've finally caught up to Sony in sensor manufacturing, which would be a major boon to them.

I like that aspect - they could exit the camera business but still sell sensors.

Very few companies have the resources to manufacture sensors. Nikon and Olympus can't even do it. While exiting the camera business doesn't necessarily mean exiting the sensor business, I just don't see either happening.

If I had to bet on two smaller makers remaining, it would be Panasonic and Fuji.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not expecting Panasonic to exit. I'm just saying that it could happen. Their current state is bleak. They have to do something. It would make me sad.

There's no breakdown whatsoever about what portion of their losses are attributable to cameras. They're in bad financial shape, but I have no idea what lines you're reading between. If they exit cameras, that means they'll likely exit most of the consumer electronic industry, including TVs. It'll be an entirely different company to the one we know now.

I don't see this happening before/until things get bad enough that they have to declare bankruptcy. You're being WAY too premature here. I don't think they're anywhere near that point.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow