Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,096
Like?
Yukon/Alaska Fall Color Trip
Sep 25, 2013

This September 7th -15th I joined with 5 other photographers from our local club for a fall color road trip. This was a first for me, and quite fun. We traveled from Juneau to Skagway to Whitehorse to Dawson, then a brief trip up the amazing Dempster Highway, then over to Chicken, to Tok, then a side trip to Valdez, then back to Tok, then to Haine's Junction and down to Haines for brown bears and the ferry. All day shooting or driving.

I made google map of the trip, but the forum software won't let me post a link.

The set of galleries I made from the trip can be found here.

I used most of my gear, the E5 and 50-200 with EC14 for animal shots, and the EM5 with 12-60 or 7-14 for landscapes and other shots. Around 3/4 through the trip the 12-60 finally gave up the ghost after many hard years of use. It's in for repair now (and I had to send it back East again, Connecticut I think, not Texas).

We really, really lucked out on the weather. It snowed a week or so after we went through.

I took many photos of the photographers at work. Helped keep the mix interesting.  This is at the Yukon River.

This is from The Dempster highway in the Yukon, on our most colorful day. It really did look like this.

One of our favorite reflection ponds.

A straight landscape from the Dempster highway.

We had three vehicles. I was fortunate enough to share an RV camper, as opposed to homemade plywood beds in a crowded truck or van.

We saw black bears in Valdez.

And brown bears in Haines...

Many, many old cabins...

Moose here and there...

And more landscapes. This is one of the few hdr shots I did, processed in Photoshop, on the pass heading to Haines (some scenes up there look like they are from The Lord of The Rings).

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow