Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,079Gear list
Like?
Re: Except...
In reply to Beach Bum, Sep 25, 2013

Beach Bum wrote:

The thin body is going to hit the big time at some point in the future,

I don't. Why? Most of the photographers I know also have a xx-250 or xx-300mm lens.  Once you add such a lens, you are no longer thin and/or are carrying a bag (so weight matters more than a few mm. Compare the EF-S 55-250mm to any equivalent.)  If you are only thin with a pancake prime or slow zoom, then most people will go for very thin like a phone camera or collapsible lens compact.

The EOS-M uses a different mount that's not compatible with their existing DSLRs.

It's called the EF-M lens adapter.  Full function for all Canon EF or EF-S lenses.  Currently $129 on sale.  We'll have to see if an EOS-M with on-sensor PDAF like the 70D will have similar performance, but the premise of this thread is that it will soon enough.

Why would anyone want to buy this mount from Canon when they can buy a mirrorless camera from a more established mirrorless manufacturer?

Because they are more established camera companies.

To create a thin body, they'd need a new mount which is not compatible with their existing DSLRs.

The Nikon 1 series is compatible with F-mount AF-S lenses.

which I believe is the future.

Acceptance has been "meh" so far, so this is based more on faith than facts.

The reason sleek bodied mirrorless cameras haven't hit the big time yet is that the stars haven't aligned. But they will.

Ah, so your faith is based on astrology

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow