Why Thom is wrong...

Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,058Gear list
Like?
Re: Except...
In reply to Beach Bum, Sep 25, 2013

Beach Bum wrote:

What advantage does removing the mirror from CaNikon bodies give them if they continue using the same mount?

Changing the mount only helps with making cameras thinner.

I don't believe this offers much size or weight savings. It just makes the camera cheaper and less functional, IMO.

Either you think there are functional advantages to an EVF or your don't.  Most of the people in this thread are arguing about more advantages than than body thickness.

Again, you have the same flange distance, which means the bodies are still going to be large.

You mean large like the SL1?  So far, smaller bodies than that have not proven to be a market advantage.  Why is the A3000 the largest NEX?   But if you insist, Canon could also create an EOS-M based body with an EVF and EF-S lens compatibility instead of an EVF Rebel.

If they change the mount, will they have market penetration for a camera/lens system that's not compatible with their existing DSLRs?

Why would it be incompatible?  At least Canon doesn't have to worry about screw-drive AF lenses.

I'm asking a serious question here. What kind of changes can they make if they remove the mirror but maintain the same mount?

They could remove the SLR hump and move the EVF to the side.  I doubt they would though.

And what point is there in going to mirrorless if you have no major size/weight changes, aside from money savings?

Money savings is enough - I think you overestimate size as a factor (very little of the difference would be weight.)   But they would do it either for cost, features (like FPS), or for a more integrated video experience (e.g. eye-level video.)

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow