Why most everyone choose Nikon for their first dslr?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
harrygilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?
Re: Why most everyone choose Nikon for their first dslr?
In reply to yonsarh, 11 months ago

yonsarh wrote:

Infact I am one of them.

1. build quality

2. brand

3. many options for lenses

4. mainly for professional or amateur work

5. other

If other, please specify thanks.

Before I respond, note that I have the highest respect for Nikon (and all the various brands). Choice of camera is a personal thing, and I firmly believe that a good photographer can make great images with any brand. My allergist makes wonderful images with his Pentax. That said...

The factors you cite above are EXACTLY why I chose Canon. At just about every sports event, I see a sea of white lenses. When they show politicos on TV, it seems that a majority of photo journalists have Canons. When I go to photograph wildlife, Canon predominates among the "serious" photographers. The majority of Nikons I see are mid-level "prosumer" cameras owned by amateurs. And three other factors drove me to choose Canon over Nikon:

1. Ergonomics in the Canon, especially the menu system, seemed more logical to me than Nikon's (what do I know; I'm only an industrial engineer trained in ergonomics).

2. Canon's support far exceeded that provided by Nikon, when I helped a friend solve a technical problem with his Nikon, while Canon has a help line with a human (!) who answered all my questions when I called; to download camera manuals when doing pre-purchase research, Nikon required a serial number, while Canon offered no hindrance. When I bought a Nikon film scanner (Coolscan 5000), the Nikon software sucked, and Nikon was unable to resolve problems -- I had to purchase 3rd party software.

3. Canon provides free post-processing software with their cameras.

Just my 2 cents.

harrygilbert's gear list:harrygilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow