EOS M2

Started Sep 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,257
Like?
Re: Compared OMD EM5 vs. 70D with which lenses?
In reply to 4thnebula, Sep 24, 2013

4thnebula wrote:

I only use u43rds lenses on my Olympus OMD EM5. I also no longer have an STM lens so I can't compare with one. In my experience and view, the u43rds lenses are very small compared to my Canon lenses. When I received my Olympus 45mm f1.8 I was surprised at how tiny and light it was. My Canon 50mm f1.4 is a tank in comparison and my Canon 50mm f1.4 is a nice small lens by Canon EF standards.

Wide to normal lenses designed for mirrorless cameras with short register distance will be smaller than the same lens designed for any kind of SLR.  The SLR's longer register (flange) distance means that short to normal lenses need to have an additional assembly of lens elements that aren't needed in lenses that are designed for short register (flange) distance.   Also, lenses designed for a smaller sensor will be smaller than lenses designed for a larger sensor.

Shallow DOF lust notwithstanding, the 4/3 sensor size is probably large enough to suit most people's needs.  How many people print boatloads of 16x20s (or larger)?

Even though I'm sticking with Canon (for now), I'm happy that the u43rd companies are putting out good products.  Hopefully, Canon is paying attention and the next generation EOS M won't be as lackadaisical as the first generation M is.  This is why I was hoping for snappier live view AF with the 70D sensor (that was supposedly really designed for the next generation M.)

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow