*** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2013.09.21 ***

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,984Gear list
Like?
Fishing for breakfast
In reply to Wormsmeat, 11 months ago

On Thursday I had to zoom over from Rabaul to New Ireland (from where I am posting this) after hearing of the passing of a very old and much loved friend. Fortunately, the sea was pretty smooth for the two hour inter-island speedboat ride.

I took this shot at Kokopo boat harbor, Rabaul, while waiting for more passengers and cargo to arrive to fill the boat. The lady fishing is Rose -- she sells betel nut, cigarettes, and snacks at a little informal market at the boat harbor while her husband looks after the Firefly line boats.

First thing in the morning, she parks the baby with a young relo at the market stall (an upturned box) and goes a bit further down the beach to catch breakfast with her hand line wrapped around a soft drink bottle, and a hermit crab caught by hand on the beach for bait.

She was fishing for small inshore fish called Talapia here which she would then barbecue on a little fire on the beach.

I was struck -- as I so often am -- by the simple, elegant self-sufficiency of it all and the simple elegance of her stance.

You can see the Rabaul volcanoes in the background. Tavurvur, which has been smoking and emitting ash a bit for some time now gave a bit of a mighty burp the other day a couple of days after I left to come here -- and I missed it! I am distraught! Faithless volcano -- if it turns on a show again when I am not there I will just refuse to photograph it any more!!!

Love the flower joke, Wormy -- as you can see, no flowers here! 

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow