Started Sep 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Promit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206Gear list
Like?
Re: The film SLR was great, too
In reply to RedFox88, Sep 24, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

It really is nice to have a slender little EM5, and a couple of fast primes in a fanny pack, as opposed to a full size DSLR and a bag full of lenses. Definitely more convenient, for me and for the people around me.

Sure... who cares about fast, accurate autofocus right? It's all about convenience and not performance, right?

My EM5 can single AF faster than my A77 with supersonic lens and there's no microadjust or misfocus issues. I'm splitting hairs though; both cameras are blazing, crazy fast. The difference appears in continuous autofocus, where the Sony stays locked while the EM5 gets confused. It seems the next generation of Olympus cameras might solve this at long last.

If we're talking about cold hard performance, there are exactly three things that my A77 can do better than my EM5. One, better image quality thanks to that larger sensor. Two, continuous AF. Three, video. Of those, the C-AF thing is supposedly done in one more iteration, and the video issue is a quirk of Olympus cameras.

Theoretically, you take the Olympus AF tech, jam it into a NEX chip, and install the whole thing in an Alpha body and that gives a mirrorless camera that is every bit the equal of a modern DSLR in what it does and in ergonomics. That leaves "I don't like EVFs" as the sole complaint, does it not?

We're headed into an era where the difference between mirrorless and DSLR cameras is about PREFERENCE rather than PERFORMANCE. (3-5 years?) I think that's a good thing myself.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow