Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: What do results say?
In reply to MarkJH, 11 months ago

MarkJH wrote:

Kodachrome200 wrote:

As I joined this forum I started to notice a lot of people talking about how dslrs were obsolete dinosaurs. This was news to me. I knew about mirrorless cameras but i never realized anyone was predicting that they would mean the complete end of the Dslr

Now I think the predicted death of the DSLR has been greatly exaggerated. I work as a professional photographer and I of course get to meet other people in my field all the time and they are still pretty happy with their Canon and Nikons. Now i have heard people in this forum say the pros use Canon and Nikon gear because they dont know any better. Now A. i think it is pretty presumptuous for folks pounding away on a camera forum to to tell the world that they know better than pro photographers and B. this is just not true. DSLRS have there own unique virtues. Just because it isnt the perfect camera for you does not mean it is right for a lot of people.

The fact is the current state of technology EVFs are sad little things that arent nearly up to alot of peoples standards. There plenty of valid reasons to want a full frame sensor. The almost complete lack of professional zoom lenses in the mirrorless segment and other issues with lens choices are real problem for a lot of people. and you have to realize that alot people don't want small light cameras. Not everyone but a high end camera for traveling or for hiking. Sometimes ergonomics are more important than size.

You do realize even if evfs become so good you cant tell the difference between them and reality they actually still may not be preferable to alot of people. I personally would rather not see exposure or white balance previewed in camera. and even if everyone decided to get cameras with evfs most pro's and a lot of other people would choose ones that were no smaller than current full frame cameras and they would have full frame sensors. I suspect they will be made my canon and nikon and use the same lens mount we are currently using.

Clearly Mirrorless cameras are going to have there share of the market dslrs used to dominate. but just like i really doubt cell phones are going to kill compact cameras, i think Dslrs are going to be around a long time

Wouldn't it be wonderful if greatness had a recipe?

I'm not saying you shouldn't have to work hard or try. But man, if it were true that there were a few constants in this world that if you just studied the he// out of them and worked hard, then bam: success, greatness, glory would be yours.

wtf are you talking about.

Whenever I read missives like yours, Kodachrome200, I feel for you--I really do. There you are, following the "rules" that were given to you, working hard to perfect a craft you were confident about when . . . whoops! Some jerk comes along and completely redefines the game. Sweeps the rug right out from under you. Breaks the "rule" that says a compelling "professional" photography should come from a DSLR! (Not unlike when some a$$hole back in 2001 or so broke the "rule" that said "professional" photography could only happen with film. And then when another a$$hole in 2010 or so proved it still could.) And suddenly (predictably), no client in the world gives a crap about everything that goes into making a gorgeous, meaningful photograph with a DSLR because some visionary kid with an OM-D can produce a result even more interesting, even more useful, even more desirable in less time, in greater quantity, for less money.

Yeah, it seems unfair.

Or, maybe it's just the way of the world. And rather than wasting your time "defending" one technological notch over another (in a long string of advances yet to come), maybe it's worth stepping back and looking at the bigger picture--by which I mean to say, the result.

Technology drives photography only in terms of how people use it, and every photographer is free to use technology however he or she wants. There is no "recipe." You can cry about how great DSLRs are until you're hoarse, but if photographers using mirrorless gear are redefining the art--with their results--in ways that clients find more compelling, then no one will (or should) really care what you have to say.

You didn't ask for advice, but you need some. So here it is: don't defend technology, defend results. No client cares how you're producing your photographs; they care only whether the result meets their desires and whether you can produce it for what they're willing to pay. So care about that. Find and favor technology that enables that.

The world shifts and changes and moves, and if you're unwilling to shift, change, and move with it in developing an innovative, compelling, relevant artistic product, you're screwed. There are no "rules," there are just results.

M.

This is easily the most pompous thing i have ever read in my life. Firstly i get the impression you didnt even read what you are responding to. I wrote about how bizarre it seemed to me that people are predicting the end of the DSLR when it seemed to me that they are still a very useful tool. And you responded with, well actually cant easily summarize your response except that it seems to be various ways of talking down to me that have nothing to do with what i wrote.

All i can tell you is I have been doing this professionally since the film days. I have made many technological and none of them were too difficult. I traded my Hasselblad and my 4x5 camera in for Dslr many years ago and never looked back.

And where you get this idea that i am rigid religious dslr zealot from what i wrote i have no idea. I absolutely love my Ricoh GR and my iphone is great little camera to have around. And i actually think the fuji mirrorless gear is on its way to looking pretty cool but i dont think i want to be an early adopter. I still love 4x5 camera too. it has no use for me for client work but its great fun for personal projects.

I have honestly nothing against mirrorless cameras. I just think that dslrs are still very useful tools. And when i read fanboys on this forum say dslrs are dinosaurs and pros are just sheep that buy whatever canon and nikon put out i am just flabbergasted. its really strange.

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow