In Defense of the DSLR

Started Sep 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,208Gear list
Like?
Re: In Defense of the DSLR
In reply to Kodachrome200, Sep 23, 2013

Kodachrome200 wrote:

The fact is the current state of technology EVFs are sad little things that arent nearly up to alot of peoples standards. There plenty of valid reasons to want a full frame sensor. The almost complete lack of professional zoom lenses in the mirrorless segment and other issues with lens choices are real problem for a lot of people. and you have to realize that alot people don't want small light cameras. Not everyone but a high end camera for traveling or for hiking. Sometimes ergonomics are more important than size.

You do realize even if evfs become so good you cant tell the difference between them and reality they actually still may not be preferable to alot of people. I personally would rather not see exposure or white balance previewed in camera. and even if everyone decided to get cameras with evfs most pro's and a lot of other people would choose ones that were no smaller than current full frame cameras and they would have full frame sensors. I suspect they will be made my canon and nikon and use the same lens mount we are currently using.

Clearly Mirrorless cameras are going to have there share of the market dslrs used to dominate. but just like i really doubt cell phones are going to kill compact cameras, i think Dslrs are going to be around a long time

In M43 world, you have the Panny 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. On the Olympus side you are going to have the 12-40/2.8 and 40-150/2.8. Sounds pretty professional to me. There are some people that do want small light cameras, I'm one of them. I happen to own four Nikon FF cameras. There are times when shooting events with two cameras where, if I would like to have one lighter weight camera. I find myself when shooting with two cameras the 2.8 glass stays home.

You obviously haven't seen the latest sales figures, but Point and shoot compact cameras have dropped 48% in sales volume in 2012. (http://sociable.co/technology/smartphones-and-the-collapse-of-digital-camera-market. I shoot a lot of events, and it is rare to see someone with a point and shoot camera. It is the camera phone, or DSLRs, with FF in the minority of DSLR cameras. I do see a few crop DSLRs, but outside of myself, I have not seen anyone with a FF camera at all the events I shot this year. If the Olympus OM-D E-M1 lives up to its hype, I will be waiting in line to acquire one.

http://sociable.co/technology/smartphones-and-the-collapse-of-digital-camera-market/

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow