Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dan W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,986Gear list
Like?
Re: stuck in the dark
In reply to bolador, 10 months ago

bolador wrote:

Hi.
I agree with most of your statements but in bokeh being easier in FZ200...
DOF at f2.8 is not directly comparable between both sensor sizes..
In fact you have shallower DOF with at 300mm f5.6 using the 16MP 2X mode in the D7100 (600mm eq ) than with the FZ200 f2.8 at 600mm equivalent... (I've just calculated it to be about 20m vs 27m).
More light sure, but in terms of speed you can use much higher ISO in the Nikon..
So. To be clear I agree that FZ200 gives results good enough in terms of IQ a really good experience in its use. Portability and a good price making it an excellent combo...
Comparing performance/price a D7100+18-105kit+70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR should give you same reach, better IQ, better DOF control. At about x3 the price..
I may be wrong but my ears are all open...

Regards

You're not wrong, including your statement about DOF.

As for price, A 55-300 VR is less expensive and almost as good as a 70-300 VR. A D7000, still available and a bargain at under $900 currently, would save additional $ for one who wanted to try a DSLR. A D5200, also an excellent camera, is currently under $700.

So DSLR's are not as expensive as some think and not all of them are heavy. My D7000/55-300 combination weighs all of 3 pounds.

Superzooms have their place too, of course. I had an FZ18 and gave it away, but sometimes wish I still had it and will probably replace it with another Panasonic superzoom at some point.

DW

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow