In Defense of the DSLR

Started Sep 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,825Gear list
Like?
Re: In Defense of the DSLR
In reply to Gary Martin, Sep 23, 2013

Gary Martin wrote:

There's a greater issue here, and that is the shrinking market for old-school enthusiast photographers. That's why even though mirrorless has captured a large segment of the enthusiast market, there doesn't seem to be as much money being made there as had been hoped. The smartphone is the real culprit, and not just for its small size and ubiquitous presence, but for its

I read the Panasonic reports over the past few years, and before they knew compacts were going to tank, they were trying to grow compact share every year. At first it was 10% and they achieved that, then it was 15%, but they never got there. You can kind of see from their words that they knew this was coming. They had already started to consolidate and strengthen the interchangeable lens models. I think this started to happen before the smartphones were believed to be the culprit.

Mirrorless advocates who say the DSLR is a dinosaur are partially correct. However, their mirrorless cameras are also just smaller dinosaurs, because size is only one part of the equation. It's the connectivity workflow will be the key.

Can't carry a PEN in your hip pocket.

It's a whole new world out there for photography, and those of us who frequent this site are no longer the dominant part of it. I'll keep shooting big files and making prints, but there are going to be fewer and fewer companies making stuff for my needs. And that's OK, we can go back to being obscure geeks again

Yep, fine with me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow