Canon Extenter Capatability

Started Sep 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
RedYeti
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon Extenter Capatability
In reply to DinkyDamian, Sep 23, 2013

DinkyDamian wrote:

I recently purchased a Canon Extender EF 2X Mk III from ProCameraShop for use with my EF 70-200 F4L IS USM lens

I have noticed the IS and AF functions don't work when using the extender. Is this becasue this is due to incompatablity or have got a "Grey" Dud product from the ProCameraShop?

No, this is perfectly normal. It is because your camera isn't capable of AF with a lens that has an f/8 maximum aperture (which is what the f/4 + 2x extender combination gives you). Only the 1-series and the 5Dmk3 are capable of AF at f/8, and even then only with the centre points.

There is a workaround. You can tape up the contacts on the extender so that it doesn't report the aperture to the camera. The camera will then attempt to AF, but don't expect miracles since it is likely to be unreliable and slow.

[ edit: I see you mentioned IS too. As far as I'm aware that should still work for that combination. There's a compatibility chart here: http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/canon-teleconverter-compatibility-chart ]

RedYeti's gear list:RedYeti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow