OM-D EM1 All the Bells & Whistles, but no meat?

Started Sep 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bussta
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
OM-D EM1 All the Bells & Whistles, but no meat?
Sep 23, 2013

Looking at the various samples shot with the EM1, I can't help feel excited, then immediately disappointed when zooming in on them, I don't mean for a pixel peeping noise purpose, but more to see how well the files hold up once zoomed/cropped in.

From standard view they look great, nice & sharp, but one you start to investigate further the images become watercolour like and break up very early on, not noise, but fragmented pixel blocks

I'm not looking for a Full Frame/APSC argument, but it seems that the technology has come so far with Olympus and I praise them for their advancements, but the overall image quality is still limited by the size of the sensor, if only it were bigger.

As a portrait & reportage photographer I am after a system that caters for both, instead of carrying around 2 cameras, at the moment I'm using a 5D MKii, but possibly looking to the 6D, so shed some bulk, the fantasy would be the OM-D EM1 being the substitute, unfortunately I am not sure that is the option in reality now. Shooting Editorial working with both strobes and available light, I need the option to crop and / or fill double page spreads of a magazine, printed at 300dpi.

If the image quality was on a par with an APSC stye camera i.e. Fuji X-Pro1 / X-E1 then I would sell my Canon 5DMkii & lenses like a shot, but I have a niggling concern in the back of my mind that it just won't hold up after processing?

One big advantage the EM1 does have is the stabilisation, which is second to none, arguably you could work within the parameters of say iso 200 - 800 and rely on the i.s. to save your bacon. I've seen reports of the i.s. allowing hand held images at up to 1 second! meaning that you wouldn't have to resort to using higher ISO's, thus keeping some of the quality of the lower ISO's, but this isn't an ideal solution, and even the lower iso's bring up artifacts and break up.

I completely understand the design of a small body and amazing lens set, but can't help feeling that the sensor is the thing that is restricting the EM1 from being possibly the best camera released in the past few years. I want it to fit my needs so much, but just worry that it will be met with disappointment and resentment.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow