Shooting landscapes with the G1-X...

Started Aug 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,030Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting landscapes with the G1-X...
In reply to enfi, Sep 23, 2013

enfi wrote:

Wow, after a long search in this forum, these are my favorite photos so far.

Thanks for the kind comments Enzo, you have some very nice stuff on your photostream which I'll have a better look at when I get time. I also use the 5D2 and I find the G1-X makes a great alternative when I need to travel light.

I bought the G1X for the same reasons as you, and even tough I like the camera, and I'm willing to accept it's limitations, I sometimes get frustrated with some issues; for example yesterday I was trying to overcome the lower dynamic range by doing HDRI (manual the included option only do jpg's apparently) and I was unable to auto bracket exposures longer than one second in AV or even P
I was able to auto bracket in TV, but changing the aperture and doing so affects the deep of field and I didn't wanted that.

You can bracket raw shots in Av mode, it works fine, or did I misunderstand what you said?

I could probably do it manually in M mode but it's more complicated and I might introduce some movement, is there anyway to overcome this?

There are a couple of things you could do. You could use graduated neutral density filters, which is the quickest and easiest way to improve dynamic range. You could also shoot HDR in Av mode (see above). You could also use an ND grad filter and then create 3 separate raw files from the original ( one normal exposure and one over and one under exposed ) and merge them. You could also bracket and blend exposures, there are lots of options really. I find you can under-expose at base ISO and get away with not too much noise (within reason).

However I really like the camera, my back is happier, and I'm planning to travel with it.
Kudos Canon, now please don't kill the new segment that you have created, just improve it...and please update the current firmware to make it even more capable .

It's a great camera and I'd love to see a successor, though I don't necessarily need one myself.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow