Bif's and bird tips / technique with MF long lenses. Long and boring

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,261Gear list
Like?
Re: Bif's and bird tips / technique with MF long lenses. Long and boring
In reply to riknash, Sep 23, 2013

riknash wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I had never thought one could seriously shoot BIF with the NEX-7, using long telephotos, until I saw your images. Wide angle yes, but not so easy with narrow DOF telephotos. Very inspiring, well done!

I'm still a bit puzzled about how you pre-focus on a bird taking off. Won't the focus point be some where in space with nothing to focus on as the bird isn't yet at that location and there may not be anything below the flight path path to focus on?

Aww this is an old one

You are right, you can't pre-focus on a bird in flight. For that, its a matter of moving the focus ring back and forward as you use a slow shutter burst at around 3-4 frames per second.

What I think you might be referring to, is for a bird in flight on take off, pre-focus slightly in front of the bird on the water and when it takes off start firing off a slow burst. One of the shots should be in sharp focus. So for that I pre-focus on a few ripples in the water. I use that method on a river here where I know Cormorants love to take off from and head out to sea.

It takes a lot of practise and you must be prepared to miss a lot to start with, after awhile it does get much easier.

Please try it and post some shots. I'm hooked on birds now days and love seeing what we don't have here.

All the best

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow