EOS M2

Started Sep 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
67gtonr
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?
Re: Compared OMD EM5 vs. 70D with which lenses?
In reply to 4thnebula, Sep 23, 2013

4thnebula wrote:

Sorry about the confusion. Not sure how I can clear my comments up. I do not own, nor have ever used, a Canon EOS M. I only know its speed by watching YouTube videos. I have also only evaluated my Canon EOS 70D live view speeds outdoors with Canon 70-200 f4 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4 and Canon 35mm f2 IS. I am basing my speed comments on those lenses. From what I have seen on YouTube I would expect the 70D live view with my Canon 50mm f1.4 to be similar to the EOS M. I expect Canon STM to be better though I do not currently have a STM lens. I would sure expect the Canon 22mm f2 STM to be faster on an EOS M with the 70D sensor than my Canon 70D with the lenses I mentioned above. I have used the 18-135 STM IS on my former Canon T4i. I purchased the 18-135 STM IS expecting live view to be faster than my other EF lenses. I did not observe it to be faster. I can say according to my memory that the T4i with 18-135 STM IS live view autofocuses noticeably slower than the Canon 70D with even the Canon 70-200 f4 IS. One of the several reasons I no longer have a T4i or the 18-135 STM IS.

All of this is just best guesses and speculations based on what I have observed and know.

I can also add, since I mentioned it in my other post, that live view af with my Olympus OMD EM5 is much faster than any live view I have ever used so I sure don't expect an EOS M2 to match it. But I can also say that I find the autofocus with my Oly EM5 to be so fast that it is very near the speed of my Canon 70D with 50mm f1.4 using phase detection.

However, close is good enough for me for what I would use an EOS M2 for (only stills, candids and landscapes).

Hope this clears things up some. Let me know.

How does the Live View Tracking focus on your EM5 compare to that on your 70D That is the aspect of the new sensor that interests me?

67gtonr's gear list:67gtonr's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow