Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576Gear list
Like?
Canon 6D and 70D ISO 12800 Comparison
11 months ago

I have done a basic comparison of my Canon 6D to my Canon 70D at ISO 12800. I used my Canon 50mm f1.4 lens at f5.6 for the comparison. I took photos of a sculpture I have on my studio wall. We use this sculpture as a basic means for practicing tonal drawing. It seemed to me to possibly be useful to use in comparing the ISO 12800 of the cameras as well as getting an idea of comparing tonal capabilities of the two cameras.

The sculpture was hung on my studio wall with all lights off. Lighting was from a sky light located directly above the sculpture. It was overcast outside and later in the day so I could use ISO 12800 in the approximate 1/500sec shutter speed range to allow for handholding.

The first two photos were JPEGs taken with each camera at ISO 12800. I cropped them in ACDsee PRO, resized and saved for web in Photoshop CS6.

Canon 70D

Canon 6D

The following two photos were 100% crops of the eyes of the original JPEGs of the above two photos. This allowed me to compare and post without reducing size.

Canon 70D

Canon 6D

The next two photos are the original JPEGs of the first two photos posterized to 7 and modified to 16bitgrayscale in ACDsee and modified to grays.  As with the first two photos, I then reduced the size and saved for web in Photoshop CS6.

Canon 70D

Canon 6D

The process has been useful to me to get an idea of the low light ISO capabilities of each camera as well as the tonal range capabilities of each camera.  Since I use these cameras as backup photos to my portrait and figurative painting and drawing work, tonal range and ISO lowlight capabilities are important.  Flash is not useful in my work since lighting for paintings/drawings are done in ambient light which needs to be recorded as is.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions about further ISO and tonal range tests that could be done without going to through the extensive work labs need to do.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow