Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lsane2
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
I don't know what else to do! Re: Canon Pro-100 and Pro-9000 mk II
11 months ago

Hi all! This is my first post on dpreview but I've been reading for years and have learned quite a lot from the different forums. Recently with the great deals on Canon printers, I have decided to delve into learning about color management and printing my own photos.

Now I am stumped and that brings me to my first ever post on this site. I bought a Canon Pro 9000 mk ii, I calibrate my 13" Macbook Air with a Spyder 3, dim the brightness on the monitor and print from LR 4 using ICC profiles for the paper I'm using. My prints are always a bit too warm.

I downloaded a couple of test images that were recommended here and printed them out. Still too warm.

A few months ago, I bought the Canon Pro-100 with the rebate and free 13x19 paper. Too good of a deal to pass up and I liked the idea of it being wireless and the good reviews it was getting on b&w prints. However, I didn't set it up until Friday after reading jtoolman's posts about setting his Pro-100 up. I wanted to see if I would get the same results as I was getting on the 9000 or if the prints would match what I was seeing on my monitor.

I made sure I had the latest driver installed by downloading from Canon's website and printed a photo that I had also printed on the 9000, an image of a couple at the beach late in the day with white clouds and blue sky. The print came out and the skintones were ashen and the sky was gray.

Then I printed the test images out. They were darker and duller than the same images from the 9000.

I called Canon support. He recommended I download Print Studio Pro and tweak the sliders to get the results I wanted. He said that solves 95% of the problems like mine. Did that and moved the cyan slider up quite a bit and tweaked a couple more and got a print that more closely matched what I am seeing. I then saved that as a preset for the Pro-100. Then I did it for the 9000 to get rid of the warm cast.

So now by using Print Studio Pro I can get decent prints from both printers. But from everything I've read here, I should be getting prints that match my monitor without having to resort to this.

I've googled and searched and spent hours trying to figure this out and I'd really like to understand what's going on. Any advice any of you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow