Multi-function laser with photo quality scanning capabilities?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
motion
Contributing MemberPosts: 634
Like?
Multi-function laser with photo quality scanning capabilities?
7 months ago

Having previously owned an Epson multi-function inkjet photo printer (Artisan 810/PX-810 Photo) with a Mac I've experienced how expensive ink replacement can be despite limited use and am wondering if I should just get a laser multifunction printer now that the Epson is broken.I keep reading how much more economical they are in use -especially if you don't print every day.

With my photography business outsourcing my customer prints I basically just need the ability to scan/copy/print documents, receipts etc. and the occasional map or diagram, so although color would be nice I can probably do well with a black/white if that'll keep running costs down.

The only photographic feature I need is the ability to scan photos (mostly prints) for repair/retouching. My Epson Artisan 810 did this fine (I'm sure there are better dedicated scanners around, but it seemed fine to me), so the question is if multi-function "home/office" laser printers scan equally well?  In theory I suppose manufacturers use the same scanning "module" for a variety of printers, but I really have no experience with this.

I'd also be happy with specific printer recommendations. Features I need are:

• duplex (two sided) printing
  • document feeder (for scanning several documents automatically)
  • ethernet connection
  • Mac OSX compatible
  • low cost usage
  • good quality print
  • black/white printing is OK, color is welcomed if usage cost won't be significantly higher
  • high quality scanning (acceptable for scanning photos)
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow