What are the pros/cons of the a77? Is it worth buying?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,445Gear list
Like?
Re: What are the pros/cons of the a77? Is it worth buying?
In reply to Promit, 7 months ago

Well first of all, I mentioned that I got that quote from another forum. So I did some math (which might have been off), but based on just area of an APS-C sensor vs. FF sensor, it seems you could fit about 23 APS-C sensors in the space of 10 FF sensors. So this makes a ratio of a little more than 2 APS-C: 1 FF.

Now lets say that that 3 of the APS-C sensors are flawed on a sheet. Now lets say that 3 sensors are flawed on a sheet of FF sensors. You now have 20 APS-C sensors and 7 FF sensors. The ratio is now almost 3:1. The probability that there are more FF sensors flawed is probably higher.

3 A77 bodies at $900 a piece is $2700. The A99 is $2800. They both have similar features, but the A99 also has AF-D which takes a little more sophisticated sensor and shoots uncompressed video which takes a little more processing power. So that seems pretty close. Also factor in the fact that they're probably selling 4 or 5 APS-C cameras for every FF camera. So I might be being generous....
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow