Thom Hogan: Impact of mFT on Nikon DX line

Started Sep 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,285Gear list
Like?
Persistent writing .. on the wall .. ;)
In reply to TrapperJohn, Sep 22, 2013

TrapperJohn wrote:

Nikon hasn't made any big leaps and bounds since the D3... unless you count the D90's video (a first, building on Oly's live view in the 330)... but that's also true of the dslr in general. It isn't seeing the big leaps and bounds of functionality that were evident in the mid 2000's.

The D7100's greatest competition isn't the EM1. It's the D7000. The D7100 didn't improve on it all that much, so Nikon lost much of their largest potential customer base: D7000 owners. Not so much a Nikon problem as an industry problem. Canon's sales of 5DIII were lower than expected for the same reason - many 5DII owners decided that the improvements didn't justify the expense. In both cases, the global recession didn't help matters any.

From 10mpx to 12mpx to 36mpx and being king of Dr is not a progress?

Sony... until Sony learns how and especially why to build good lenses, and lots of them, they'll remain a perennial also-ran. It's the most common reason people choose µ43 over NEX: not much glass, and what little they have is quite large.

I don't think Sony will destroy what Zeiss and Minolta have done so far.

What Nikon faces is what any camera company heavily vested in the dslr design faces: stagnation.

You call 35-100/2 equivalent to say Nikon 70-200/4 but larger, twice as heavy, twice as expensive, and in front of a 16mpx sensor a progress?

The design has been pushed about as far as it can go. Sensor tech is at the point where further improvement does not yield much in the way of tangible results under typical photo circumstances, so the large sensor advantage isn't nearly what it once was.

So what you are saying is that you never get clipped highlights on any scene you like? I find it difficult to believe. Or for the same angle of view your f/5.6 lens is as good as my f/2.8? Does not sound right either. All else equal (imagine that), what else am I missing?

The optical viewfinder might get better with digital overlays, but it's expensive to do that, and still doesn't deliver the preview and review modes of the EVF. The only real improvement that can be made is - size. And the dslr's VF, legacy film lens mount and registration distance limit how much it can be improved there.

Yet the FF camera with more mpx in it is prices lower than the mFT, what do you care how they make it?

The dslr has also lost the enthusiasm and excitement that drove much of it's booming sales in the 2000's. Where are those great leaps and bounds happening today? Right here. Look at the dpr top ten clicked list today: two high end compacts, three dslr's, and five mirrorless. Including one, the EM5, that's been on that list since January, 2012.

They moved phone cams to a new site altogether. This is not how you judge (and select) your equipment, is it?

That enthusiasm may not be reflected directly in current sales, but it's pretty unambiguous handwriting on the wall. That's where things are headed.

You had a very similar tune about FT years ago, from post to post repeating the same, and yet it is nowhere to be found in the stores today. How is that E-3 fitting your hand, not bad I hope?

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow