Started Sep 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,007Gear list
Like?
Gets really tiresome!
In reply to Sergey_Green, Sep 22, 2013

Sergey_Green wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

There were long waiting lists to get one : I had preordered one in early March but only got one at the end of August inspite of the fact that in our country Olympus is better distributed than it appears to be in the US.

My take on it is that it can only mean this camera is/was not well distributed (supplied) in your area. Say 5 people ordered and only 3 cameras arrived, Olympus miscalculated there would be 2 people more. Perhaps.

I have seen the same with Nikons, you could walk into the store and buy the most popular camera on the day they arrive, D300 was a good example. Yet, you would need to pre-order the model that is in lesser demand, and been around for a while.

Also Olympus managers have declared it several times : they were themselves surprised by how well the E-M1 was selling. Also here since its launching the price of the E-M5 has remained very stable, loosing less than 10% With respect to its launch price

Well, you see, that's why they distributed only few from the beginning. Like I said, it could mean something entirely different from what you think it is.

By well selling I meant if you have figures, that show this camera did indeed bring profits back to Olympus. You will not find such. Therefore it did not sell well at all.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Such logic, in an industrial sector as complex as high end photo retail, is absurdly simplistic. As has been noted frequently, even megacorporation like Sony, with all their brand prominence, global distribution infrastructure and advertising.

All the retailers I know (Henry's and Visitek in Toronto (both also national chains) Don's Photo (a central Canada Chain), The Camera Store (a very highly regarded Calgary pro shop), London Drugs (a western Canadian chain with extensive camera department) and McBain's (ten Alberta stores, mainly in Edmonton) have, at different times, reported that the OM-D, especially, was selling really well, and that the PL-5 and PM-2 tended to move quickly, as I looked at these cameras and bought my OM-D and PL-5 and my set of lenses for them.

Olympus is essentially in a process of having to re-establish itself as a brand by creating and expanding a whole new market This is a slow process and there are many factors that have to be dealt with before the bean-counter-mantra "bottom line" can be expected to stay in the black.  (It may even be, for the OM-D, but not yet be there for mFT, and can mFT production and distribution cost =s really be separated out from other cameras such as their hi-end compact which uses some of the same components?)

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow