How are lenses on AW1 sealed - any ideas

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,157Gear list
Like?
Re: System Diagram
In reply to DesertCat, 11 months ago

DesertCat wrote:

In addition, the nikonusa.com site has a "waterproof accessories" tab for this system. It includes silicon grease and replacement o-rings. So, I think your concerns are justified with regards to managing the "gunk". I think that's kind of the one of the costs of ownership with such a system. Especially given the current lenses, I think lots of people would just choose one of the two lenses and leave it on most of the time, though I'm sure someone will prove me wrong. The big decision for many may be whether they want the flexibility of zoom with a bit less let gathering capability or if they want a little more light gathering, a fixed focal length, and potentially a bit more seal depth (20m instead of 15m).

AW1 Waterproof Accessories

Even if you just have one lens and 'leave it on all the time', your O rings will still need to be lubricated and replaced periodically, if you hope to maintain watertight integrity.  O rings will dry out and crack if not properly maintained.

I used Nikonos cameras back in the 70's and 80's, and O ring maintainence was a must if you did not want your camera to flood.

Still have two of them, and still fully operational.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow