Started Sep 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,963
Like?
Re: stuck in the dark
In reply to bolador, Sep 22, 2013

bolador wrote:

Hi.
I agree with most of your statements but in bokeh being easier in FZ200...
DOF at f2.8 is not directly comparable between both sensor sizes..
In fact you have shallower DOF with at 300mm f5.6 using the 16MP 2X mode in the D7100 (600mm eq ) than with the FZ200 f2.8 at 600mm equivalent... (I've just calculated it to be about 20m vs 27m).
More light sure, but in terms of speed you can use much higher ISO in the Nikon..
So. To be clear I agree that FZ200 gives results good enough in terms of IQ a really good experience in its use. Portability and a good price making it an excellent combo...
Comparing performance/price a D7100+18-105kit+70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR should give you same reach, better IQ, better DOF control. At about x3 the price..
I may be wrong but my ears are all open...

Regards

Hi Bolador:

I just checked the price here in Ottawa for the gear your mentioned and it's $1860 and the FZ200 is $550, therefore about 3.5 times the cost. The IQ is better, yes, so is the autofocus MUCH better, but I would beg to differ about the DOF control, I don't think it's anywhere near as good with the DSLR, and those awesome F2.8 creamy bokehs are simply not possible.

But no need to quibble, the bottom line is if someone wants to give it a try like I did, and spend an additional $1550 doing so (that's with taxes in a good UV filter on the lens), then that's a decision for them to make. I personally don't think you get $1550 more value (IQ per dollar). When I look at my old FZ200 photos I am hard pressed in many cases to be able to tell the difference between these two cameras. I always shot in RAW and I'm not too bad a post processing so I was usually able to make something fairly nice out of most of my FZ200 images.

Again my point in this comparison is not to trash DSLRs or falsely elevate bridge cameras, but rather to make the case that the capabilities of the FZ200 are so good that one need never feel they have to "move up the ladder" as it were to do any "serious" photography.

Cheers,

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow