Started Sep 22, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,369Gear list
Like?
Panasonic gave me a weekened with one
Sep 22, 2013

Smaller than I thought, and lighter. Built great, lots to use in this package. I dare say its almost too loaded considering its classic design- almost wish it had a more minimalist design personally. That said, I think its probably the best m4/3 Panasonic has made yet and I suspect  many others will think so too.  I didn't get a chance to eval the image quality yet because I don't have ACR set up to support it at this time- will get into that when I get more time with it with an extended review on a full production unit (the one I used is really the same, no changes in firmware or exterior have happened).

My first impressions were very positive though. It has a couple of quirks that I don't like, but overall It's a really good camera. I don't like the strap lugs, and the battery life should be better.

That said, I think its twice as useful as other RF designed m4/3 cameras in the past because of the integrated viewfinder yet super compact design. Pana of course makes many m4/3 cameras with integrated VF's but none this small. It's a camera I'm afraid should have come out when the GX1 did, since then competition on models an sensor improvements has really left Pana behind. It's price is too high to me- at this time, and with so much competition. Had it been introduced in place of the GX1, the price would have been fine.

I suspect it will drop very quickly.

This camera may save them for a while longer though, it's that good. Pana needs to get the horsey cart going though if they intend on staying viable in this market, if they don't it may eat them up alive.

Carl

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

cgarrard's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
IBISNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow