Started Sep 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rupert Brun
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
GH3 Viewfinder Coating comes off
Sep 21, 2013

On holiday hiking in the Greek Islands in temperatures of 40 degrees, I sweated a bit. A few drops of perspiration got onto the EVF of my GH3 and wiping them off with a soft lens cloth took some of the coating off. Using a loupe I could clearly see a "crazed" effect in the coating, making the view even more "smeary" than it usually is. By the end of the three week holiday all the coating was gone from the centre of the viewfinder eyepiece. Panasonic UK replaced it under warranty.

Since then I've come across two other people who have lost the coating from the viewfinder of their GH3, one of them as a result of a few specs of light rain getting onto it and wiping it off with a soft cloth.

Given that this is supposed to be a weather-proof professional camera, it is very disappointing and I feel justifies a recall for replacement weather-proof viewfinder optics to be fitted free of charge.

Anybody else had the problem? Might be worth sticking a loupe in your eye and checking your viewfinder whilst it is still in warranty.

-- hide signature --

Rupert Brun

Rupert Brun's gear list:Rupert Brun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +10 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow