Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
degsy_safc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357
Like?
TG-2 Underwater Results
10 months ago

Bought this cam in advance of a 2 week holiday in Sharm El Sheikh, knowing that a couple of snorkelling sessions would be on the cards and wanted something that would resolve a reasonable amount of detail and reproduce decent colours without having to rework every single shot.

Prior to using the cam i was a bit apprehensive having read some of the posts regarding lens / monitor fogging once submerged in water and the 'non-ruggedness' experiences of a few others. So prior to departing the UK i made sure that a 32gb SD card was inserted and the battery was fully charged to avoid the need to open any of the seals whilst on holiday - although i did remove the SD card to download pics to iPad.

Anyway the cam performed superbly well - snapshots were great with enough detail to keep me more than happy (i'm a Nikon dSLR user with D3, D300 & D7100 cams) - not matching the slr quality but certainly good enough to make small prints if needed and for reviewing photos of a lovely holiday.

Even though i did open the SD door to remove the card - i still had no fogging issues the next time i used the camera under water. All of that said, the one thing that i did find particularly poor was the monitor when using the cam in bright sunlight - its almost unusable. For the underwater shots i found that i got my best results using the full program auto along with the underwater mode 2 and snapshot scene modes. Auto white balance seemed to do a pretty good job..

Here are a few of the underwater shots i managed from my trip - the location varied between approx 15 - 30 foot deep and light was variable based on the different depths of the sea bed / coral reef

Hope anyone considering this cam for underwater shots finds this usefulĀ 

-- hide signature --

Cheers Derek
--

Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Olympus Tough TG-2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow