Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?
Re: That's what I see
In reply to technic, 7 months ago

technic wrote:

sderdiarian wrote:

What lengths they'll go to in maintaining the charade that they can compete on size, but give them credit if buyers swallow the bait.

wrong, it DOES compete on size/weight with m43 cameras with a comparable feature set (e.g. good quality EVF) and kit zoom. Canon knows that many potential mirrorless buyers only buy the kit zoom and no extra lenses, they want a 'better quality compact'. With the SL1 you get about 50% more sensor and most of the same features for a LOT less money, compared to m43.

I don't know if you're trolling or not, but you're certainly embarrassing yourself.

The bodies are similarly sized, it's true. But build quality? The EM5 is magnesium alloy shell with weather sealing. The SL1 is the cheapest of the cheap for materials. The Canon's stripped for controls, too. There are two kit zoom options for the E-M5; the 14-42mm which is directly comparable to the 18-55 STM weighs less and is much smaller. The 12-50mm is the same size and weight as the STM but offers extended range (15-70 or so on 1.6x), macro, power zoom, and weather sealing. Both lenses are noticeably better made than the Canon 18-55.

Oh that's right, the larger sensor. Let's just check what that's getting you...

Oh. And you don't even get dual pixel AF to compensate for the shoddy sensor specs. Of course with one cross type and nine total AF points, without micro adjust, you might want to watch out for the AF system in general. At least DOF will be a bit slimmer, right?

The hilarious part is actually that Canon has the balls to ask $750 for the SL1. A T3i would be a much better choice for less money, every time. Heck, Pentax will give you more for the money. The Olympus is more expensive and it's in a different class entirely.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow