Thom Hogan: Impact of mFT on Nikon DX line

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,559Gear list
Like?
Re: That's what I see
In reply to sderdiarian, 10 months ago

sderdiarian wrote:

What lengths they'll go to in maintaining the charade that they can compete on size, but give them credit if buyers swallow the bait.

wrong, it DOES compete on size/weight with m43 cameras with a comparable feature set (e.g. good quality EVF) and kit zoom. Canon knows that many potential mirrorless buyers only buy the kit zoom and no extra lenses, they want a 'better quality compact'. With the SL1 you get about 50% more sensor and most of the same features for a LOT less money, compared to m43.

So, mirrorless is within shooting distance of carving out 20% of DSLR sales, this despite Canon and Nikon's already described advantages in big box sales, brand recognition and advertising budgets. And this in a system introduced and built from scratch less than five years ago (G-1 in Jan. '09, E-P1 in July '09).

From what I have seen over the last year, mirrorless sales are declining while DSLR sales are still doing pretty well. I'm not sure if this is the revolution you are claiming it to be. And don't forget that much of the m43 sales numbers are old models that are dumped for very low prices ...

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow