Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,575Gear list
Like?
Re: Missing the mark, somewhat
In reply to TrapperJohn, 10 months ago

TrapperJohn wrote:

good post, but a few comments ...

The optical viewfinder might get better with digital overlays, but it's expensive to do that, and still doesn't deliver the preview and review modes of the EVF.

I think this could be relatively easy with the new transparent OLED screens (not sure if the optical quality of those is good enough to allow critical focusing, but maybe that would no longer be required with a good overlay). Just not something for entry level models.

The only real improvement that can be made is - size. And the dslr's VF, legacy film lens mount and registration distance limit how much it can be improved there.

look at the Canon SL1, there is lots of room for improvement there. I'm still waiting for a FF DSLR the size of my FF OM-2, and with a viewfinder that is just as big and high quality. I don't see why it can't be done.

That enthusiasm may not be reflected directly in current sales, but it's pretty unambiguous handwriting on the wall. That's where things are headed.

all the more reason for the camera companies to start innovating

But even in this recession Canon still seems to do well milking the market with mostly infinitesimal upgrades to their cameras. I think we will have to be patient to see real innovation.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow