Thom Hogan: Impact of mFT on Nikon DX line

Started Sep 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,236Gear list
Like?
Re: Impact of mFT on Nikon DX line - probably not in the USA market
In reply to kodachromeguy, Sep 21, 2013

kodachromeguy wrote:

Everything Thom wrote is logical for photography enthusiasts. But as for the mass market in USA, Joe and Jane Suburban:

1. Know the two big names, Canon and Nikon.

2. Seldom see 4/3 cameras in big box stores and the few they see are not emphasized by salespeople.

3. Have a neighbor or relative who bought Nikon or Canon when he "became serious" about photography. Joe and Jane will buy the same for social acceptability among their peer group.

4. Do not care about all that large f-stop technical mumbo jumbo and are not interested in buying big full frame lenses - in fact will only buy the one kit lens and possibly a cheap, small aperture zoom lens.

5. Can buy a Nikon DSLR with kit lens cheap. That is a key factor for them.

-- hide signature --

The Kodachromeguy

All good points, and they've been largely accurate.

But as smartphones cull more and more Joe & Jane's from the buying pool, people only superficially interested in photography in the first place, cameras like the E-M1 will, I think, become the new paradigm for enthusiasts who mine the internet for trends in technology.

Seeing it side by side with the bulky D7100, and understanding its better build quality and, for all practical purposes, equivalent IQ, and then adding in the compact mFT primes and 5-axis IBIS, my sense is were Nikon emblazoned on its body instead of Olympus, it would be taking the market by storm.

Nikon and Panasonic both now have no-excuses products.  They need to get the word out, as Nikon and Canon did in the 70's, to assert themselves in the market.  But they don't seem to understand the value in this.

Just my sense.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow