G15 Lens Protection

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,184Gear list
Like?
Re: Do we really need extra protection?
In reply to Mark B., 10 months ago

I concur.  I've been using SLRs since the 1970s and for the first twenty years always used a "protection" filter on the lens. Never in that time did I scratch or break the filter. Then, as my skills and quality of equipment improved, I realized that there were some instances where a filter affected auto focus or the sharpness of the image, sometimes even creating flare that the lens hood would not reduce.  My 100-400mm lens was particularly susceptible to focus problems with filters, so I stopped using them on it.  And, again, I never broke or scratched the lens, but I do use the lens hood 99% of the time. Now I only use filters when there is a need for them: polarizing filters for glare reduction, ND filters to allow for long exposures and clear filters when I am shooting around salt water and corrosive gases (such as in Yellowstone or near other thermal features).

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow