Hello and question: Legacy lenses that are sharper than the 18-55 kit lens?

Started Sep 20, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stjarvis
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Hello and question: Legacy lenses that are sharper than the 18-55 kit lens?
Sep 20, 2013

So let me start off by saying hi, first post, but I've been lurking for a bit.

I recently bought a NEX 5R with the 18-55 kit lens, and I'm hunting for some additional lenses that are sharper than the kit lens, and don't cost $1000.

I had a Yashica Yashinon DX 50 F1.7 in M42 laying around, and it got decent reviews on pentax forums, so I grabbed the rainbow image adapter off amazon and gave it a try, and was pretty disappointed. It looks softer than the kit lens, and has tons of CA issues, it's bokeh is kind of goofy looking too.

I was also looking into the Pentax SMC 50 F1.4 that people seem to love, but it's dxomark scores make it look like it'll be worse than the Sony 50 F1.8.

Anyway to try and get to the point, here are some lenses I've been looking at, if anyone has tried them on the Nex, and / or has direct comparison shots against the kit lens that would be great.

Zeiss Jena Flektogon MC 35 2.4 in M42

Zeiss Jena Sonnar MC 135 3.5 in M42

Zeiss Contax Distagon 35 2.8

Voightlander Heliar 15 4.5

Voightlander Color-Skopar 35 2.5

Or if anyone has any recommendations, I'm primarily interested in landscape photography, and will most likely pickup the e-mount sigma 60mm.

Here's a photo with the yashinon, I messed with this in GIMP a bunch to try to correct CA, and give it a bit of character:

And here's one from the kit lens that I didn't correct, shot as a jpeg in intelligent auto:

stjarvis's gear list:stjarvis's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow