Thom Hogan: Impact of mFT on Nikon DX line

Started Sep 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anderton
Contributing MemberPosts: 663
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan: Impact of mFT on Nikon DX line
In reply to sderdiarian, Sep 20, 2013

sderdiarian wrote:

"Olympus' E-M1 and high-performance lenses are going to start cutting further into the top of Nikon's DX line. I warned several years ago about what neglecting the DX lens line was going to do. Well, it's happened. E-M1 users have fast 24-80mm, 80-300mm equivalents, and fast 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 90mm, and 150mm prime equivalents to choose from, and the whole m4/3 system is now properly scaled as the smallest and lightest enthusiast system with excellent performance. If Olympus had been aggressive in pricing, the D7100 would have been toast this Christmas. Even with Olympus' pricing, a lot of folk are experiencing a strong temptation to pay more for less (size and weight)."

A good read: http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/whither-nikon.html

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

The last memorable DX format camera I can remember is the D300s. My family has two of them still and I remember they were an easy choice four years ago.

Unless it is for an existing Nikon user, I have been recommending for friends buying their DSLR for the first time Canon APS-C because the lower end Nikon DX bodies feel so cheap, the interface is undercooked, the lens are expensive and the prices are not as competitive at different price points. Canon's current low price points, especially the SL1, 600D, 60D, are a bargain.

A colleague who shoots everything with his Canon 7D has spent $10k on his gear is looking towards migrating to NEX in the next year or so when the sensor and lens line up has matured. He mentions how the 7D is a brilliant camera however lugging it around does not make sense compared to MFT.

The release of Olympus PRO line of lenses looks fantastic. The 40-150mm f/2.8 for example, will push for the new users wallet if they can get it out as soon as possible.

Anderton

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow