Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
jay_akita
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
Re: Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...
In reply to britcam, 11 months ago

britcam wrote:

jay_akita wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

K_Photo_Teach wrote:

Richard the picture man wrote:

That`s fine, please post a picture or two showing us how your images are losing out without more megapixels.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5
N.B. All my Images, even the bad ones, are Protected by Copyright

That kind of a question implies that photography can`t benefit from more megapixels.

Do you really believe this?

Some people forget or don't know that if you up the megapixels you also need to up the IQ of your lenses to justify them!

Hence why Nikon have a list of very expensive top end lenses recommended for use with their D800

Just sell the car and buy a 645D and be happy ever after!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Don't forget the pixel pitch on the K5 is ~equivalent to the D800. Yes you need a full frame lens that's good to the corners but Nikon now has a nice selection of affordable lenses (sometimes cheaper & better featured than Pentax) jthat work great with the D800. I switched from the K5 to the D800 (after shooting with K100D, K20D, K7 & K5) and for $200 you can get a great 50mm F1.8 with a lens hood and full time manual focus over-ride! In fact a big part of the reason I switched is because Pentax's pricing strategy had become so obscene (and aggravating to someone like me watching my investment yo-yo in value constantly) that Nikon looked like a bargain and allowed me to cover my needs with far fewer lenses than I had for Pentax.

I have the 70-200 F4 (used to own the 60-250 DA* and 50-135DA*) and it is the most amazing lens I've ever had my hands on. Being able to easily crop to 400mm equiv. with 9MP of resolution remaining is very liberating. I can walk around with the 24-120 F4 and cover a huge range with ~F2.8 APS-C depth of field (lens is also great, extremely resistant to flare and sharp). I got it for ~ the same price new as Pentax's 16-50!!! Throw in an amazing Yungnuo flash with great build quality for $200(!!!) that supports full wireless slave control/i-TTL/remote flash adjustment via camera body with accurate exposure and lots of power and I consider the D800 a bargain compared to my previous Pentax setup (also picked up Yungnuo wireless RF flash triggers with full i-TTL for $100!- all less than the price of Pentax's cheapest flash that has much to be desired). My wife thinks I use the term "bargain" a little loosely though

For the first time in a long, long time my LBA (and camera upgrade addiction) is well under control because I can finally "have it all" - great optical quality, extremely fast AF with great tracking options, and shallow depth of field in one lens.

It's a shame because the K5 really is a phenomenal camera but I just feel Pentax/Ricoh is continually dropping the ball and almost deliberately sabotaging their most loyal customers...

You say "affordable Nikon lenses", but assuming that you mean the 70-200 f2.8 (not f4), then that lens plus the 24-120 & the D800 come an an eye-watering £4372 at UK prices. Then you will need to add something at the wide angle end, so you need to add something like the 16-35 or the 14-24 into the mix for your "bargain" price ...

The Pentax weakness in this comparison is the absence of a lens with a focal range similar to the 24-120. But even if we substitute the 16-50 to the K5II, and add the 60-250, , the total comes to £2534, with no real gap, so roughly £2k cheaper than the Nikon kit.

"I consider the D800 a bargain compared to my previous Pentax setup"

I don't think it's surprising that you are pleased with your D800 kit, but is it really a "bargain" at those prices?

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

I was talking about the 70-200 F4...I looked seriously at Nikon before selling my K7 and buying a K5 but at that time it was going to cost a small fortune to get what I wanted in Nikon glass.  Fast forward a couple of years and 4 great, newly released, affordable lenses and I bought the following (USD - sorry  don't know anything about UK prices???):

50 F1.8 for ~$180 (sale)

85 F1.8 for $400 (sale) - amazing lens and way faster AF than my DA*55 (which I loved but for the AF)

24-120 F4 for $1000 (sale) - tried several 24-70 F2.8 lenses and was surprised at how well this lens compares.  Also has incredible flare resistance, I've shot straight into the late afternoon sun with it (I've owned the DA 15mm as well).  Incredibly versitale, my favourite walk around lens ever.  Like having a APS-C 16-80 F2.8 lens.

70-200 F4 - ~1300 - Anybody who photographs toddlers or sports owes it to themselves to throw this thing on a D800 with AF-C or 3D AF and hold down focus with stabilization on while zooming in and out.  This is the lens that sold me on a high resolution body that I can easily crop to 400mm equivalence.  It's like every lens I use has a variable tele-converter built in.

D800 - refurbed with 90 Day Nikon warranty and 1 year Adorama VIP warranty for under $2400USD.  When I say "bargain" it's in part because I no longer feel compelled to monitor camera forums year-round for any rumors of an incremental upgrade that will cost me over $1000 but still not spin my SDM motors any faster, improve C-AF, or add even trivial improvements to the video features.

Previously I had over 10 Pentax lenses, some for convenience and weather-sealing (DA*50-135, DA*60-250) but they had slow AF, so I had to have some that were lighter with faster screw-drive AF (ie DA 35 F2.4, Tamron 17--50 F2.8 etc), and some for shallow depth of field portraiture (ie DA*55, Rokinon 85mm F1.4 etc) - but these were typically so slow AF-wise I hardly ever had the patience to use them with the kids.  I now have my bases pretty well covered in 4 lenses with 5 year warranties, and stable market prices so all said it worked out to be a "bargain" for me.

That said, if I didn't have young kids that make AF and video features very important to me, and still mainly shot landscapes I suspect I'd still be shooting fairly contently with my K5.  But the lens price yo-yo game would still be getting under my skin...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DaleNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow