Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,717Gear list
Like?
Re: sooner or later
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 10 months ago

Jim in Hudson wrote:

This idea will certainly reveal how little I know about light and imaging but here it goes (and at risk of wrong forum):

What if pixel density becomes so high that it's feasible to use a six-color filter... the three primary colors plus the three secondaries? I imagine color accuracy would have to be noticeably improved.

Six colors won't really help if it's still based on the trichromatic color model.

What I hope becomes feasible someday is if each photosite can not only count photons, but sort them by energy, so the output from each site is a spectral histogram.  Then we could not only have color without a bayer array, we could have color more accurate than that of the human eye.  There's evidence (controversial) that the usual trichromatic model is only adequate for the majority, and some people are able to distinguish shades that the model cannot.  Even without that, current camera sensors make all kinds of small color errors -- deep violet turns into pure blue, and red+green blends often come out unbalanced, making people look like they're under fluorescent light when they're not.  These problems are inherent to trichromatic reproduction.  A spectral photosite would eliminate these problems and all the other kinds of metamerism that throw off color reproduction.

But that's currently a complete pipe dream... it might be achieved someday, but I bet it'll take years and years.  In the meantime, progress on improved sensors is going to be a lot more gradual and incremental than what it used to be.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DaleNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow