Started Sep 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,228Gear list
Like?
Question about printing and RAW conversion
Sep 19, 2013

I used to print quite a lot at home, everything from 4 X 6 up to 13 X 19 on my two Epson printers (one for color, one for B&W). Back then (up to a couple of years ago), I printed from Photoshop. So, I would convert from RAW in Bridge to a full-size JPEG, or, for high quality prints, a 16-bit TIFF. I basically stopped printing for a couple of years, due to time constraints at work, and frustrations with clogging heads at home. I recently got the Canon Pro-100, which has reignited my love of printing, both in color and B&W. Now, I use Lightroom almost exclusively. It's so powerful in the latest version that I just don't need to go into Photoshop anymore. When I print, I use the develop module to apply the corrections I want to the photograph, but I don't export a converted JPEG or TIFF. I simply print directly from the RAW. I presume that Lightroom is applying all the settings I use in the develop module when sending the file to the printer. The results are great. So, my question is, is there any reason for me to create a JPEG or TIFF from my RAW files? I create downsized JPEGs (1200 on the longest side) for web display. But the reason I used to create full-size JPEGs or TIFFs was for printing. It seems like I simply don't need those files anymore (unless I'm sending a shot to a commercial printer for larger than 13 X 19 prints). Am I missing something? If not, this is great, from a storage perspective. Full size 16-bit TIFFs from the 7D can be enormous!

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +17 more
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Canon EOS 7D Canon Pixma Pro-100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow