Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...

Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,163Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...
In reply to jay_akita, Sep 19, 2013

jay_akita wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

K_Photo_Teach wrote:

Richard the picture man wrote:

That`s fine, please post a picture or two showing us how your images are losing out without more megapixels.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5
N.B. All my Images, even the bad ones, are Protected by Copyright

That kind of a question implies that photography can`t benefit from more megapixels.

Do you really believe this?

Some people forget or don't know that if you up the megapixels you also need to up the IQ of your lenses to justify them!

Hence why Nikon have a list of very expensive top end lenses recommended for use with their D800

Just sell the car and buy a 645D and be happy ever after!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Don't forget the pixel pitch on the K5 is ~equivalent to the D800. Yes you need a full frame lens that's good to the corners but Nikon now has a nice selection of affordable lenses (sometimes cheaper & better featured than Pentax) jthat work great with the D800. I switched from the K5 to the D800 (after shooting with K100D, K20D, K7 & K5) and for $200 you can get a great 50mm F1.8 with a lens hood and full time manual focus over-ride! In fact a big part of the reason I switched is because Pentax's pricing strategy had become so obscene (and aggravating to someone like me watching my investment yo-yo in value constantly) that Nikon looked like a bargain and allowed me to cover my needs with far fewer lenses than I had for Pentax.

I have the 70-200 F4 (used to own the 60-250 DA* and 50-135DA*) and it is the most amazing lens I've ever had my hands on. Being able to easily crop to 400mm equiv. with 9MP of resolution remaining is very liberating. I can walk around with the 24-120 F4 and cover a huge range with ~F2.8 APS-C depth of field (lens is also great, extremely resistant to flare and sharp). I got it for ~ the same price new as Pentax's 16-50!!! Throw in an amazing Yungnuo flash with great build quality for $200(!!!) that supports full wireless slave control/i-TTL/remote flash adjustment via camera body with accurate exposure and lots of power and I consider the D800 a bargain compared to my previous Pentax setup (also picked up Yungnuo wireless RF flash triggers with full i-TTL for $100!- all less than the price of Pentax's cheapest flash that has much to be desired). My wife thinks I use the term "bargain" a little loosely though

For the first time in a long, long time my LBA (and camera upgrade addiction) is well under control because I can finally "have it all" - great optical quality, extremely fast AF with great tracking options, and shallow depth of field in one lens.

It's a shame because the K5 really is a phenomenal camera but I just feel Pentax/Ricoh is continually dropping the ball and almost deliberately sabotaging their most loyal customers...

You say "affordable Nikon lenses", but assuming that you mean the 70-200 f2.8 (not f4), then that lens plus the 24-120 & the D800 come an an eye-watering £4372 at UK prices. Then you will need to add something at the wide angle end, so you need to add something like the 16-35 or the 14-24 into the mix for your "bargain" price ...

The Pentax weakness in this comparison is the absence of a lens with a focal range similar to the 24-120. But even if we substitute the 16-50 to the K5II, and add the 60-250, , the total comes to £2534, with no real gap, so roughly £2k cheaper than the Nikon kit.

"I consider the D800 a bargain compared to my previous Pentax setup"

I don't think it's surprising that you are pleased with your D800 kit, but is it really a "bargain" at those prices?

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DaleNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow