What do the NEX Users think of the OMD EM-1?

Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
Re: What do the NEX Users think of the OMD EM-1?
In reply to captura, Sep 19, 2013

captura wrote:

During a similar discussion on the m43 forum about a week ago, somebody posted comparative data between another new camera, the  Panasonic GX7, and the NEX-7. The results were striking! The EM-1 displayed a large amount of noise at ISO 6400 whereas the NEX-7 was nearly clear as a bell. This demonstrates that once again, Panasonic sensors are not the equal of Sony.

I expect that the E-M1, being the most fully developed Olympus camera so far, and bearing a Sony sourced sensor with hybrid PDAF, should be the equal of anticipated new Sony mirrorless cameras; except for one thing..... and that is is the 40% larger surface area of an APS-C sensor as compared to m43. The larger (NEX) sensor bearing 16 mp let's say, might demonstrate less noise than a similar 16mp sensor in m43 size. Having the same number of pixels in a smaller area will always tend to result in "noisy pixels."

However, the E-M1 might outperform the GX7.

I'd be very interested to see this, as most reviews of the NEX-7 show that at lower ISO's its a fantastic camera but the higher you go, the more noise.  I never felt all that comfortable shooting my NEX-7 over ISO1600.

That's not to say that th EM-1 will be better but I have doubts that the NEX-7 was clear at ISO6400.

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HuhNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow