The Camera Matters.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,895Gear list
Like?
Re: Absurdism
In reply to howardroark, 11 months ago

howardroark wrote:

If the photographer has the same needs fulfilled then the change may not matter.

Bingo.

If the photographer has some issue with the camera that makes it unpleasant to use, less likely to be taken along, or does not have a feature that makes the shot possible then suddenly that camera has become a hindrance rather than help.

"Hindrance rather than help" or limiting factor for some photography is a much better way to express the issue.

BTW, again notice the term "the shot".  There is always more potential for photography than just than just "the shot."

No, I'm sorry. Zero difference is not an option. You're talking about changing cameras. I'm talking about a camera that is right for the photographer.

Since most photographers already have a camera, it's the difference of changing cameras that is the issue.

The absurdism in my last post is exactly the same absurdism you are using, which is why I used it as an example.

Exactly: absurd examples (changing almost everything or changing almost nothing) are just specious rhetoric.  We need to move beyond that and define how the camera may or may not make a difference.

If you think any camera is fine, then no camera is too. Often times the effect is the same.

If you don't have a camera at all, then you are not actively doing photography.  I can and have done photography with nothing more than an oatmeal can and a sheet of photosensitive paper - it's a lot better than no camera.  You should try letting go of the gear obsession sometime.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BothNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow