Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Sad indeed.
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 10 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

howardroark wrote:

The statement is not only untrue but destructive.

It's how photography has been taught for decades, so your claims of destructive are patently absurd.

Technique and composition may not require a lot of discussion about the specific equipment because those are the focus of the learning at that point.  At some point figuring out what camera to use does come in to play.  The fact that people keep taking pictures does not prove or imply in any way that a destructive attitude from certain teachers or experts is useful or that it would lead to the end of the artform.  People would simply find someone who could be more constructive or strike out on their own.  One thing about photographers is they are typically fiercly independent.

Some people may offer advice on a camera that fits someone's needs and then recommend methods for working on one's skills, but to just say that any old camera will do could lead to someone simply owning a digital camera they will never use.

Any reasonable camera can be used to learn about composition, light, and the joy of photography.

Learning concepts and making daily use on a personal and unguided basis are two different things.  I learned on a manual film camera and it was very useful later in my photographic advancement.  I won't pretend that that's the only path to follow.

My discussion was not about better gear or worse gear, it was about the right gear,

Right for what purpose is the question.  Some purposes may require specific features but there is a lot of photography that doesn't require much at all other than a lens (or pinhole) and a medium to record light.

And that's the kind of argument that I was trying to discuss.  Those two extremes don't have any meaningful use to most people, great artists or amateurs.  The fact that those two extremes exist don't disprove the importance, the subtlties, or the human factors that go into choosing and using a particular piece of equipment.  In fact, those extremes prove the importance of everything in the middle:  the purpose and the person and their vision determine what is REQUIRED to get their shot.  Not desired, required.

So now instead of "the camera doesn't matter" perhaps it would be more accurate to say "the right camera is the only one that matters."

There is no "right" or perfect camera.  There is only not good enough, good enough, and better.

The lack of perfection also does not prove the lack of the best camera to match what the photographer needs, wants, or would be most useful in promoting their continued education or artistic production.  You've stated exactly my point...there is such a thing as a better camera, which means the camera itself does have meaning that can not be discounted based on the existence of other meaningful factors.  We don't have to split up 100% between different variables.  It's not camera 50% and composition 50% or some variation.  It is camera 100% and composition 100%.  If you don't care about one then the other doesn't matter.  If you'd read what my post you'd see that I state people with expertise in equipment may be less affected by camera choice because they can adapt their style or they can adapt to the camera itself very quickly, but they still have to work within those confines.  Others may be more easily affected by the idiosyncracies of their equipment through their own psychological leanings or lack of expertise, and that can lead to the camera staying at home and learning coming to a screatching halt.  Maybe learning wouldn't even be coming to an end but simply the pursuit of photography in certain circustances.  For example, if someone's passion was street photography but every time they pointed their EF 600mm attached to a 1D X at someone standing twenty feet away the candid scene was ruined then perhaps they'd quit even trying.  Other much more subtle examples of that exist.

The same reason you climb the mountain: because it's there. Because that is what I want to do. It is both the beginning and the end, the need and the want, inspiration and creation.

And you are unable to be inspired and to create unless you have a camera with specific features?  How sad.

You are intentionally being argumentative and attempting to illicit an emotional reaction in order to continue a pointless line of conversation.  This is why you are on my ignore list and I won't bother reading anything else you have to say.  I've attempted a civil discussion and you aren't capable of that.  How sad.

-- hide signature --

Erik

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BothNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow