Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,331Gear list
Like?
Re: I just HAD to chip in :-D
In reply to robbo d, 7 months ago

robbo d wrote:

Veroman,

I wonder that myself. I have not experienced the distortion on Ozdean's shots before.

My take on the DA* is that the whole picture is sharper, the centre by a bit and the borders by a lot, when compared to a good copy of 55-300 that also perhaps seems to matter which camera it's on. When photographing birds, usually the centre is all we see, as in above shots and gives one a rosy view of the 55-300, which is perhaps my main use for it also......

Yes, when I am shooting objects near the center it gives a rosy view of the DA55-300mm. If you go to DXO web site and pick both of the lens spoken about with a K50, go to measurments, sharpness and use the field map you will see the DA55-300mm being sharper versus the DA*300mm in the large middle area 'only' this is true; the DA*300mm is for sure sharper corner to corner. Its a prime lens designed long ago. The DA55-300mm is a newer zoom design for high res sensors. It has to make trade offs. But it went for all out sharpness in the middle at 300mm where most will use it. In fact, I hate to state it. But its as sharp if not sharper than the DA*300mm in the middle according to DXO and PopPhoto. And looking around at pics would suggest this is in fact true; for the center and less than infinity! Some tests do fail to state this but I will tell it and show it like it is. Go to the other Pentax web site, look them both up and look at wildlife pics, then distand landscape pics and you will see I am telling the truth. But the DA55-300mm is not that bad at infinity.

Now how many DA* 300mm owners will take a pic of a small squirrel about 60' away in the shadows or sunlight and post it. I ask kindly for a comparison of the lens at less than infinity so others can see. Or bigma owners.

Here is another out of camera jpg no pp at all, nothing. Its straight out of the K5. This is at 300mm f/5.8. Do note its doing well however even at the sides (look at the tail). Do note most peoples finest shots are in bright light. I went ahead and did one in the dark shadows as the sun was fading yesterday. But no one posts pics with other lens to compare in same? Its not easy to find exotic birds. But maybe any small animal.

You most view original size to see all the detail. I also have a DNG of this pic as I shoot jpg/dng but don't have time to develop and optimize a dng. But others can post pics?

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow