Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Absurdism
In reply to Erik Magnuson, Sep 19, 2013

Erik Magnuson wrote:

howardroark wrote:

The camera always matters. Here's a quick test to prove my hypothesis. Go out and compose the perfect image, set up your camera on your tripod, and just before you press the shutter release button I kick you camera over onto the ground smashing it into a thousand pieces.

Now in the same scenario, instead of smashing the camera, replace the 70d camera with a 60d camera. Does which camera matter in this scenario? If not, how can you says "always"?

If the photographer has the same needs fulfilled then the change may not matter. If the photographer has some issue with the camera that makes it unpleasant to use, less likely to be taken along, or does not have a feature that makes the shot possible then suddenly that camera has become a hindrance rather than help.

Now take that same scenario and replace the camera with one that the photographer hates to use for whatever reason, and not one that is based on laziness or lack of desire to improve one's skill. Possibly even simple preference, but more likely some nagging glitch or annoying aspect of the design.

We already know that the camera can make zero to infinite difference. Comparing to no camera or comparing a QVGA CMOS fixed focus cheapie (320x240 w/no controls except the shutter) to a PhaseOne P80 is not very interesting to any photographer. So why waste our time with the obvious answers?

No, I'm sorry. Zero difference is not an option. You're talking about changing cameras. I'm talking about a camera that is right for the photographer. I'm not making the comparison that you are proposing. Continue arguing your position as long as you desire, but further attempts to obfuscate the issue to continue a non-argument will result in you talking to yourself for a long, long time. The absurdism in my last post is exactly the same absurdism you are using, which is why I used it as an example. If you think any camera is fine, then no camera is too.  Often times the effect is the same.

-- hide signature --

Erik

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BothNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow