Epson R3000, printing costs and comparison with silver gelatin prints

Started Sep 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alberto76 Contributing Member • Posts: 752
Epson R3000, printing costs and comparison with silver gelatin prints

Dear all,

I'm not around on this forum often and probably this is my first post here so, as a first thing, hello to everyone!

I like printed photos and I do a lot of black and white work. So far I have used different printing services, all of them doing wet printing from digital images. For black and white prints I have always used Ilford silver gelatin paper (either at IlfordLab or by means other labs that use the same paper and similar printing techniques). I have seen, though, some fantastic black and white pigment printing (but I still have to find a lab that really has the quality that I have seen).

In the last days I started thinking about purchasing a photo printer and, by searching on the Internet, I quickly understood that a good candidate could be the Epson R3000. Before evaluating it seriously (of course I would like to try it with some of my pictures before buying it!) I am here to ask a couple of questions:

* In your experience, which are the printing costs with this printer? Have you done any estimation about printing 20x30cm and 30x45cm pictures both black and white and color?

* Have you ever compared prints done by the R300 with the ones obtained by using wet printing on silver gelatin? Any comment on that?

What I would like to understand, at the end, is if the quality would be the one that I am lookin for and if the printing prices are OK (i.e., if printing prices are the same as printing at the lab, then why bother buying a printer myself? Well, except for the wish of experimenting ).

Regards,

Alberto

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow